On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> Set the SCSI ID to 0, pull all three ID jumpers off.
> You want termination enabled, might have to find
> termination resistor packs if the drive is older.

> You'll also want to set the drive to provide
> termination power to the bus and to itself.
> (Never have more than two devices providing
> termination power to the bus. One internal and
> one external, if any, is fine.)

I've set the ID to 0 (I assumed since I couldn't find any jumpers on the
drive that came out it was 0) and I've tried termination in all 3
positions.  Let's go a little farther then... I set up the hard drive and
I boot up.  I get the blinking "?" so I wait a little bit, then I popped
in the System 7.0.1 Install disk.  It boots up, but doesn't give me an
option to change disk.  is it possible that System 7.0.1 isn't seeing my
drive even if it's set up correctly?

Kudos to The Pickle... your FAQ is by far the most insightful
documentation I've seen on Macs so far.  I guess the next place to start
looking is for a terminator.  I don't have an internal one, but I have
tons of external SCSI stuff including terminators.  Is there anything
special I have to do to use the primary HD as external?  I'm assuming just
set ID to 0, slap on the terminator and power up.

-Brian