--- Eric McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey-lo all,
>
> 'couple IIsi questions here...
>
> 1. My IIsi has an aftermarket video card in it,
> taking
> up its one and only expansion slot. It *looks* like
> the onboard video is toasted - absolutely no
> reaction
> when I hook up the video to the default slot. Is
> there
> any way to "repair" the onboard video?  Just curious
> because I'd like to hunt down a Nubus 10baseT card
> and
> stick it in there instead. Yes, I've done this with
> the other video card out.
>
> 2. Also - she seems to lose her settings, at least
> as
> far as the video goes. Often, when I boot up, it'll
> be
> greyscale. (It is a color video card.) I can head

The video setting is stored in the PRAM, which is
kept by the 3.6 volt PRAM (Parameter RAM) battery.
The single expansion slot is a PDS or Processor
Direct Slot. NuBus slots are shorter in length.
If the video card has a PDS connector on it then
it's possible to install an SE/30 or IIsi network
card onto it. The "gotcha" with that is usually
you have to let one of the rear connector panels
hang out the back on its ribbon cable.

One way around that is some of those network cards
with an AUI plus a BNC or RJ45 connector or all
three will have the AUI connector mounted seperately.
(It looks exactly like the Mac video or a PC
joystick port. Never mix up those!) Then you can
remove the AUI port and mount the video port onto
the NIC's back panel. Be sure to clearly lable it
as a video port. ;-)

The _real_ trick would be stuffing a second video
card, network card and a 50Mhz DayStar 030 PowerCache
into a IIsi. :-) Use the special dual port PDS/Cache
slot adaptor, plug the PowerCache into the bottom
slot, the video into the top and the NIC into the
video card.
Depends on if the video card extends far enough so
its PDS clears the PowerCache and the NIC is short
enough to fit between the video card and the
logic board. (Of course the Radius Hard Pivot
video is out of the picture for this.)

Hmmm. I saw some website where someone stuffed a
601 and a PDS card onto some LC in a PC case by
stacking a pair of LC PDS connectors between the
logic board and the PDS card. The 601 upgrade went
into the 040 socket and normally would interfere
with the space needed by a PDS card. If some new
IIsi etc type PDS sockets can be bought then it
would (should) be a simple matter of inserting
one or more between the video card and the dual
slot adaptor so the PDS on the video card would
clear the top of the PowerCache. Provided the
power supply isn't in the way.

I'll leave that up to some mad IIsi owner.

I had a IIsi and upgraded it with a 40Mhz PowerCache.
It was still too slow for my taste so I sold it and
got a IIci with the 50Mhz PowerCache which was OK
but then snagged a IIci with 32megs RAM, 500 meg HD
and 66Mhz Turbo 601 for a paltry $10. =) It was
instantly dubbed "Power IIci" and upgraded to 80 megs
RAM using the 64 megs I had in the IIsi.

I must admit that the 50Mhz PowerCache in a IIci
seems to play Quicktime video better than one
with the 66Mhz Turbo 601, not that either one
plays it very well. ;)

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947