--- the pickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 14:55 -0400 on 28/09/01, Amber Rhea wrote:
>
> >Why is it that sometimes, older Powerbooks'
> batteries just refuse to hold a
> >charge? I love my PB 145B, but the battery holds a
> charge for about three
> >minutes, tops. I replaced the battery with a new
> one, with the same results.
>
> That sounds like a problem with the power management
> circuitry.
>
> Unless you got a new-in-box battery...is that the
> case?  If so, the cells
> have long since died.  Buying NIB batteries based on
> lead-acid or NiCd
> cells is pointless unless they're only a year or two
> old.

I know there's a trick to resetting the power manager,
but since I've never actually ownwed one, I'm not
100% certain how to do it. I think you take the
battery out and hold both the reset and programmer's
buttons for a minute. Might involve the power button
somewhere in the process too. :)

There is an extention or control panel called Amnesia
that keeps a Powerbook's power save stuff from working
so the batteries will drain as far as possible. This
is only needed for NiCd batteries. I think if you
poke around in Apple's FTP you'll find something
similar.

If that fails, you can practice your soldering skills
by carefully cracking open the battery case along
the seams (if its glued instead of screwed together)
and replacing the cells. Those batteries typically
use standard sizes of cells, though not the typical
"consumer" AAA through D sizes. Any type and size
of cell, with or without solder tabs, is available
from several electronics supply places. You can often
get a higher than original miliamphour rating in the
same size cell which would give you a longer runtime.
(Libretto and Palmax submini notebook users do this
a lot with their battery packs.) I did it with a
dead Sony Betacam camcorder battery. :)

FYI, if you ever encounter a device that uses AAAA
batteries and can't find replacements, get a Duracell
9 volt battery and carefully hacksaw around the top.
(There's a bit of empty space in there.) Inside you'll
find six AAAA cells. :)

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947