Hi mart and Ken,
Very grateful for the detailed instructions (never
mind that the Multiscan won't work with a Mac II or
IIx std. video card without a $40 adaptor). My 15"
goes yellow after about 20 min. (due to heat?). Rarely
goes into the 'red' phase, or even green.
I spent Cdn. $85 "to change the analog board". Got the
second built-in speaker to work for 20 days longer
than the 90 day warranty. Live and learn.
George
PS: also heard that a PCB from an HP 14" can replace
the 15" PCB - be brave. A local Mac hacker destroyed
my Color Display by fiddling with the solder joints
while attempting a 'transplant'. Monitors R Us,
anybody?

--- mart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ken wrote:
> >I have two of these monitors. One has intermittant
> "no blue" signal and
> >the other has constant "no red" signal.
> >
> >I know that these monitors have a "history" of bad
> boards (solder
> >joints?)
> >
> >Ken
> >
> >Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
>
> Let's go for the 'make it do'.
>
> The parts that carry, process and amplify the R, G
> and B signals are to be
> inspected here. Follow the cables inside from the
> connector to an area
> where you find three similar groups of electronics:
> the R, G and B
> amplifiers. Maybe they are marked as such. Here,
> very likely some solder
> joints have cracked.
>
> On my monitor (other type) there were the following
> defects, causing
> similar problems (intermittand red or green only, or
> nothing, or
> everything, but only for 10 seconds):
>
> 1. bad Mac-to-mon video cable on 1 colour, to start
> with
> 2. bad signal cables on 2 colours inside the monitor
> 3. cracked joints on 2 out 3 minuscule PCB's,
> mounted perpendicular to main PCB
> 4.bad signal cable, going from colour amplifiers to
> tube neck.
>
> It took a few weekends... but once fixed, never had
> a problem.
>
> I hope this gets you anywhere,
>
> -mart

=====
/'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email
 X  No Word docs in email
/ \ Respect for open standards

Love your neighbour as yourself. (from Luke 10:27)