I bought a "NuDesign " Magneto Optical drive for my MacIIx years ago and had
nothing but problems with it.  It quit working while it was still under
warrantee and was replaced by the vendor. I was going to use it to back up
all my floppies, but it had other ideas.  I spent days loading and arranging
floppies and putting them onto the 'huge' 256M disks.  The more critical the
software the more likely the disk was to not be recognized, and the 'orange
light of death' to show. I noticed all the later MO drives dropped the 256M
format and went to a smaller 23? format. Maybe there is a connection here?
Most of my 25 disks are unreadable now and I can't even retrieve the data
from them. Has any one else had such miserable luck with MO drives, and is
there any good drivers out there for them? Now I'm using a relatively new
8600 on OS9.1 I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and can direct me
to a solution.  I still have my old MacIIx with its Video frame  grabber and
the indestructible 13" monitor. I can still hook my MO up to the 8600 but it
doesn't recognize disk very often. I haven't tried it on OS9.1 yet, last time
was on 8.1.

Thanks
Dave