> Might try scrounging up a 512meg MO drive on eBay
> that will also read the 256meg disks.

All that suggestions are good but don't forget all MO drives can get
dirty with use, if you can get cover off enough to see the optical
eye and hub, clean them with 70% or purer alcohol and swabs.   Rails
that assembly rides on back and forth, give thin smear of oil on
swab, wipe them, don't oil if that one rides on tiny metal wheels,
clean it only.

I have success with my 512MB per side optical panasonic mech (5.25"
FH by kurata, corel) and 230MB mech by olympus mech in APS casing.

Both works fine on peecees and Macs.  But I was able to save few more
unuseable 512MB medias on Mac with powertool I think.

The stuff on peecees does not have utilities for true formatting MO
disks.  Mac and that util did.

CD ROM drives suffers from dust n' dirt too.

Cheers,

Wizard