On Saturday, March 23, 2002, at 12:50 PM, Goetz Hoffart wrote:

> Which Mac do you own? In a 68030 Mac I would add the FPU if there's
> already an empty socket for it. But if I would have to buy an adapter
> card or to change my 68LC040 I would'n do it. A 68LC040 (without FPU) is
> faster than a typical 68030+68882 ...

The 68LC040 is as fast as any straight 68040, which is much faster than
any 68030, FPU or no FPU. The LC040 just falls flat on it's face when
you throw math functions at it where as the 040 has the FPU to deal with
them.

>> Also, how many Macs with 68030 processor shipped with the FPU?
>
> Several hundreds of thousands I guess :-)

Yes, quite a few Mac IIs had FPUs soldered onto the board.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central

Microsoft Works - the world's largest oxymoron