Well, I got it apart and cleaned the roller pickle and Jeff were talking
about. It was coated with toner dust. I first wiped it off with a soft cloth
(don't have a brush and couldn't find one inside the printer). Reassembled
it and printed a page.

The page showed marked improvement, but when I printed more pages it got
worse and worse, until it was almost like the original problem. I removed
the roller again and WASHED it in the sink. Dried it thoroughly and
reinstalled it. Same results as before. First page only about 30% grey then
it got worse until it looked 95% grey.

I checked the fuser assembly according to the directions at
http://fixyourownprinter.com/fuserlx.html

and found the Ohm values on the left side to be within range (3.8 ohms) but
the right side measured 105k ohms. It's supposed to be 180-290k ohms. I used
2 different mulitmeters just to be sure (yeah, i found another cheap
multimeter 'cause I'm not exactly _sure_ of what I'm doing; one's
autoranging the other isn't :) )..

anyway, the webpage just says if the left side is in range the lamp is okay,
but says nothing about the other values on the right side if they are _out_
of range. I've sent them an email and am awaiting a reply.

right now we may have narrowed it down to the fuser assembly (right side
values out of range) or the fuser roller needs to be replaced, OR BOTH.

as usual, any comments, suggestions or advice are gratefully welcome.

Bertie