> Presumably, they were somehow booting across the network, from the Mac II?

Yes, they were. I have a SE/30 and a IIgs that were originally configured
this way, and the IIgs can netboot from the SE/30. I've never been able to
get the IIgs to boot into GS/OS but it will come up in ProDOS.

Only ROM 03 IIgs systems can netboot. Set the boot slot in the Control
Panel to AppleTalk and it will immediately seek out a compatible server.
Once it gets its bootblock, it will ask for a username and password, and
continue loading from the server.

The SE/30 has 6.0.8, AppleShare v2, Apple II boot blocks, and various
Apple II apps on board.

I believe AppleShare v3 was the last version to support Apple II netbooting,
so "modern" Macs are no longer capable of this.

Of course, now that the IIgs has its own hard disk, I no longer need to
do this trick, but it's still neat.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- In independent studies, research was found to cause cancer in rats. --------