Knowing nothing about the networking capabilities of the AppleIIgs, I can only
talk about the AppleII+.  My cousin worked for "Mountain Computer" and he got
me a ROM card which would allow the AppleII+ to 'boot up' to any program on the
ROM, as soon as it was turned on. Without checking the card and disturbing the
dust, I don't remember how many K of EPROM it had. Mountain also sold EPROM
burners, Music Cards, Serial Clock cards and a monster 10 M hard drive that ran
on ProDos. I obtained specimens of these; after they were obsolete. I never did
make a ROM boot up program, but it could be what you saw, using the AppleIIgs
as a terminal. Does anyone remember these old 'cutting edge' items. I still
have a bunch of the EPROM's, 2716s I think. I did however make many EPROMs that
incorporated a dual Apple and Franklin ROMs. Franklin had a better font for
lower case and 80 column. I'm really dating myself here.