--- Teri Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a quick question and don't want to drag the
> list too far off topic.
>
> It seems that Apple has had at least three instances
> where they've
> developed a new operating system that simply won't
> work on their older
> hardware.  7.1 seems to be the first, followed by
> PPC only (8.2?), followed
> by OS X.  That's only happened once in the Windoze
> world that I know of
> (Win95).  Am I right about this?  Is this one of the
> things that has
> affected sales?

Will System 6 run on the Mac 128K and 512K?
System 7.5.x dropped some off it's list.
Mac OS 7.6 requires a 32bit "clean" ROM, which leaves
out Macs prior to the IIci and IIfx.
Mac OS 8.1 dropped all Macs with an 030 CPU.
Mac OS 8.5 dropped 68K support.
Mac OS 9.1 is the last version that will run on ANY
PowerMac. Newer versions of 9.x.x updaters refuse
to install on a 601 CPU PowerMac.

For Windows, 3.0 and earlier (except the obscure
Windows 286 and Windows 386) can be run on just about
anything that calls itself PC Compatable. Windows 1.x
and 2.x can even be run in fullscreen mode under
Win9x.
Windows 3.1x dropped support for the 8088/8086 CPU.
Windows For Workgroups 3.11 dropped support for the
286 CPU, but (just plain) Windows 3.11 still ran on
a 286. (I still don't know if the Workgroups For
Windows add-on worked with 3.11 on a 286.)
Windows 95 will run (crawl) on a 386SX with 4megs RAM.
Windows 98 and 98SE can be tricked into installing
on a 486 but really need a decently fast Pentium.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"