At 2:36 PM -0700 5/25/02, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
>--- Mark Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  The only reasins Apple didn't use AUI (a PC-esque
>>  standard that does
>>  the same thing) is because it uses the same 15-pin
>>  D-SUB that the
>>  Apple Video connector uses. I mean they had enough
>>  nightmares about
>>  people accidentally connecting video to the joystick
>>  port on a PC card,

The main reason is the space.  If you look at a Q700 (first Mac with
AAUI) the back edge is full.  Prior to this Apple did sell Ethernet
cards with AUI.  Later Ethernet cards from Apple used AAUI.

It is the same reason for MiniDIN serial and ADB and for a DB-25 SCSI.

>I saw the results of plugging a Mac monitor's DB15
>connector into a DB15 joystick/MIDI port on a PC.
>Wires and stuff got quite warm and smoked a rather
>large amount. (No, I was not the dummy who did it!)
>
>The other reason for the custom AAUI connector was
>to save space. Many network cards for the SE/30
>and IIsi had a DB15 AUI port along with a BNC and/or
>a RJ45. There wouldn't be much need for the AUI
>with the RJ45 and BNC on the card too, but I suppose
>some wanted to be able to hook up a Token Ring
>transceiver or 10Base-5 or who knows what else
>was made to plug into an AUI. But if you want to
>be able to connect your SE/30 or IIsi to any network
>type, get a NIC with all three ports.

Token Ring is NOT Ethernet and cannot use an AAUI or AUI port.

There are 10BaseT and 10Base2 AAUI transceivers.  There is also an
AAUI to AUI adapter that lets you use any AUI device with the AAUI
port.

>Or you could get hackerish and install both a NIC
>and a PDS videocard then replace the AUI connector
>with the monitor connector. Just be sure to lable
it VIDEO- NOT AUI! DO NOT CONNECT NETWORK! ;-)

There was a brand of IIsi Ethernet card that was meant to work with a
video card.  The Ethernet plugged into the motherboard and the video
plugged into it.  They shared the back panel connection.  I don't
recall the partuclars though.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA