At 9:46 PM -0500 5/30/02, William Goosby wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I recently collected a bunch (five and counting) of these Apple two page
>monochrome monitors, and I am running out of storage room fast. I have
>never used one, don't see a personal need for them, but could find somebody
>or some small organization to give them to if I can figure them out. I am
>running a small but growing Mac donation project in Chicago.
>
>Some questions:
>
>1) Does "monochrome" mean "grayscale"? If they are NOT grayscale, I'd have
>a heckuva challenge making a "sales pitch" to get these off my hands. Who
>would need a black and white monitor this big? We're talking 21 inches here!

They are grayscale.  Editors and writers who need to see two pages of
text could make use of such a large B&W monitor.

>2) They have a strange video connector: three coax connectors plus a few
>pins in the male plug side. I assume one needs a special Nubus card to
>drive these. Do such cards still exist?

13W3 is the name of the connector (if I got it right this time).
Most Quadras will drive this display with the right cable.  The bad
news is that the cable is hard to find and expensive, often being
sold for more than the monitor.

>3) WHO used these things back in 1989 and WHY?

People doing page layout who didn't need color.  Some would have a
second, color display too.

A two page monochrome display was a lot cheaper than an equivalent
color display.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA