For what little its worth, when we first had cable connected the poor
installer person had trouble finding a DHCP connection using the version
of Open Transport that ships with OS8.1.
Seems the mac would have to be updated to 8.5 and make use of the OT
version that ships with that before DHCP would work with our supplier.
Sorry forgetting version numbers tonight.
Anyway, the work round was to configure the connection manually.

The connected machine had to be called CO808658-1, yours would be
different of course, to make connection, on a mac this is in the
filesharing control panel or sharing setup. Then using "expert mode" in
the tpc control panel fill out all of the fields by hand on the right
hand side and make sure you had the correct starting domain name filled
in correctly. If you have a pc connected to the cable at sometime, the
settings should be easy enough to find. This worked with OS8.1 sorry I'm
unsure whether this is much help with lower versions of OT or whether it
helps you using MacTPC. The classic macs network as well as I expect
them to using MacTPC and a dynamic address over the local network but
thats through a localtalk connection and IPnetRouter.
Good luck.

Posted to the list as I dont wont to led you wrong with bad info.