--
Hi Fran

Although I am in the same boat as you in not being able to use the
cable modem through my IIci, I did manage to set up a network that
works using ethernet.

I used ethernet because the cable is connected to my ethernet port on
my SuperMac s900 which is running OS 9.1 with a G4 upgrade processor.
The IIci is running OS 7.5.3, which is the highest OS that you can
put onto the machine with its OEM processor, and which to date
doesn't like Open Transport which is the other component that enables
the IIci to get on the Internet with a cable modem. Right now I am
trying to find a copy of OT 1.0 and then 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 which I am
told I can install and subsequently upgrade. OT 1.0, a buggy and old
version is made for Nubus machines and OS 7.5.3. That's what I need
to find first. If anyone has a link to, or a copy of these versions
of open transport and wants to email it to me, I would sure
appreciate it.

To get files back and forth between the 2 machines I did this:

I got a Nubus ethernet card for the IIci on ebay for $5.00 plus
shipping. I also got a Netgear EN104 4 port Hub on ebay for $9.00
plus shipping. This enabled me to connect the cable modem, and the 2
macs. (I also bought 2 ethernet cables -CAT5E RJ45 UTP NETWORK PATCH
CABLE GRAY-to the lengths I needed)

Then you have to set up your IIci control panel-mac/tcp to the
ethernet, turn file sharing on in both machines, go to the chooser
and select appleshare. You should then be able to mount the drives of
one computer onto the other.

I hope this explains the setup, at least roughly, to you and maybe
gets us a connection to OT versions.

The Apple archives don't have these older versions of Open Transport,
OT 1.0.8 is the oldest and still too new to install on OS 7.5.3.

dan_A