--- Jason Trunzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I pulled the cache card and still get the death
> chimes...I'm
> beginning to think the RAM is bad.
> Any more ideas out there?   Anyone have some RAM for
> sale?  I want to
> put 32mb in this machine.

Does your IIci have plastic or metal SIMM clips?
If all your SIMMs are not physically identical,
you should be able to sort out four that are, if
you have four that are. ;)

Each bank must have four SIMMs of identical capacity
or the Mac will not boot.

This is where an old 386SX comes in handy for testing
30 pin SIMMs.

I always kept one of those motherboards and an old
ISA videocard handy because they only needed two
SIMMs to work. That makes it much easier to sort
bad from good and sizes than trying to do it with
a 486 or a Mac that uses a minimum of four 30pinners.

Has to be a 386SX because the regular 386 or 386DX
requires 4 SIMMs. A 486SLC will also work because
those are basically a 486 stripped down to fit
the 16 bit CPU bus of the 386SX which itself was
a full 32bit 386 stripped down to squeeze more life
out of components designed for the 286 CPUs.
(People who were _really_ strapped for cash used to
try plugging 486SLC2 chips into their 286 boxes.
It worked about 85% of the time. ;-) 24Mhz "486"!)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"