Just got in an IBM WS-3200 HDD (200 MB) I'd like to put in one of my low end
LCIII's or compacts. Using an LC 575 running Os 8.1, I can get SCSI Probe,
APS Installer, Silverlining and FWB to see it, but none of them will mount
it because there's no volume to mount. None of them will let me initialize
or low level format it either. Apple HDSC drive setup utility won't even see
it, nor will Apple's Disk First Aid (it's mounted in an external case, set
to ID 1 on Bus 0).

On bootup, FWB (v. 2.0.1) says the drive has a "Level One Failure,"
indicating it's not too serious. IBM's web site has no formatting utility
for this drive. And I can't find anything that will let me tell this hard
drive, which tests as having 0 (zero) capacity as if it's a CD-ROM drive,
that it's a 200 MB IBM WDS-3200. An identical drive from the same source
tested out just fine.

FWB will not format because it "could not get the media capacity." However,
it can get some disk info because the HDD's name is "Big Mac Daddy," so at
least some data is still there. FWB won't let me update the driver because
of an "ESM internal error." FWB gives this partition information in this
order: Title, Name, Type, Start Block, Size (KB):

Line 1:
Partition Map, Apple, Apple_Partition_Map, Start Block 1, 50 KB

Line 2:
Custom, FWB Driver Components, FWB Driver Components, Start Block 101, 512
KB

Line 3:
Free Space, Extra, Apple_Free, Start Block 1125, 2147483085 KB

Help! Should I just toss it? Or is there some magic driver or formatting
utility that will let me turn that free space into usable turf? Thanks to
all who respond.
-- Jim Scott