--- Teri Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let's not forget that there are companies that buy
> up software programs just to kill it.

SCSI Director is one of those sad tales. TranSoft
apparently bought it from another company, because
version 1.7.2 doesn't have their name. TranSoft
then developed SCSI Director into a very excellent
bit of software, IMHO superior to FWB's HD Toolkit
in many respects. Then a few years ago TranSoft
sold off much of their company to Hewlett Packard
and SCSI Director was included in the deal. HP
immediately killed off SCSI Director and apparently
all the other software products they bought from
TranSoft were also killed. One of the ex TranSoft
employees at HP sent me a copy of the final version
of SCSI Director when I e-mailed and asked what
the version number of the final version was and
why HP killed it. He didn't know why they did, it
was a good product and would've been a money maker
for HP as it had been for TranSoft.

It's very bizarre why Company A buys a product or
company then kills it when that "murder" will benefit
Company B making a product similar to the one that
was bought and axed by Company A when Company B is
in no way competing for any market segment with
Company A. When you hear about the big purchase you
think Company A is looking to go toe to toe with
Company B but then *poof* nothing happens.

One real odd one that I've not heard much on since
the buyout is Palm Inc. and their purchase of BeOS
from the defunct Be Inc. IMHO, Be went totally off
on the wrong railroad with BeIA and persuing the
non-existant, never existed, never will exist
Internet Appliance "market". Be should've just
dropped the PPC version the instant they were snubbed
by Apple and went 100% x86. Continuing to develop
an OS for "obsolete" 60x PCI PowerMacs was a dead
end and a severe drain on programmer time that
could've been spent on the more open PC platform.
Maybe someday soon we'll hear an announcement of a
new Palm PDA that totally roasts all the WinCE
ones in every aspect. :)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"