----------
>From: Teri Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Vintage Macs)
>Subject: copywrite
>Date: Wed, Jul 31, 2002, 6:48 PM
>

> Let's not forget that there are companies that buy up software programs
> just to kill it.  I ran into an interesting site, while looking up
> information on Desqview.  This was a DOS based program that provided a
> graphical interface, before Windows took over everything.  I have this
> theory that PCs would really cook if we still used DOS, since the hardware
> has been beefed up so much.
>
> Anyway, there were a lot of comments from the folks who developed the
> program, talking about the people who'd worked on it and how proud they
> were of it.  Program was bought up by the folks who owned QEMM (maybe
> Quarterdeck?) and it was deliberately killed.  There was a certain
> bitterness about it--they really believed in what they'd developed.  They
> had copies of the program tucked away for download.

Terribly O.T. But,  I had the full 9-disk set to Desqview some years
back, but it wouldn't fully load.

I was able to save Geoworks, and I run it nearly daily, on a 286 PC. Another
great Graphical User Interface that just couldn't go where Windows did due
to lack of money to push it, and the already huge momentum that WIndows had
built from the days of being "THE" DOS.

I'm sure the "killed" OSes were just set aside because of the knowledge that
they weren't going to compete with the DOS/Windows Godzilla.

And we allowed these OSes to become Super Graphical, so we can do DVD's and
streaming video, things DOS won't do.

At best, these other OSes, where you can find them, are hobbies, now. I
enjoy Geoworks. Nothing external works with it, but it runs pretty spiffy on
the 286, and it's a complete PIM, Game, Word Processing, Windows-like, etc.
OS.

Jeff