Dry bearings. Dismantling a drive to drip a tiny
amount of sewing machine oil on the bearings is
a tricky proposition. Getting the thing back together
is $^!@$@$ near impossible. :P

I have an old Seagate 320meg SCSI that I took apart,
got both bearings oiled but I couldn't get the heads
back between the discs so I decided to chuck it.
Was only doing it to see if I could. Fortunately
SCSI drives can be low level formatted so it shouldn't
matter if all the platters are taken off the spindle
and replaced any which way, right? :) I even kept
the thing dust and fingerprint free. I've had the
lids off several older drives, even with them running,
without "killing" them. Just never have gotten
one more apart than that _and_ back together. ;)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"