Thanks to all of you for your input thus far on my noisey Seagate drives.
>From what you all have said, my conclusion is that they are likely usable,
but that the noise factor is inherent with this particular model and is
exaggerated further by putting two such drives in a very small enclosure.
So, my thinking now is that they may be usable as is for "archiving" and so
on -- any purpose which does not require them to be on and spinning 24/7
which is where the noise factor becomes unacceptable.

But now I've run into a second problem: I formatted the drives on a machine
booted up as 8.1, the main, internal drive of that machine being accessed
through LaCie's "Silverlining" software which makes drives not intended for
Macs to be usable on a Mac. I'm not sure whether the 8.1 utilities or the
Silverlining is at fault, but what I now find is that when this same drive
enclosure is attached to another Mac running "plain jane" 7.1, they are
unmountable, though still recognized by name. Can anyone divine for me
whether it's 8.1 being a newer format or the Silverlining intervention
that's at fault? What's my best bet for formatting these drives in such a
way that they are universally recognizable?

Again, I apologize for what are likely stupid, redundant questions for those
steeped in the Mac culture,

Glenn McGaha Miller
Portfolio: http://www.visionary.nu
Words & Thoughts: http://www.youknowtheysay.com