At 11:14 -0600 on 02/08/02, Visionary wrote:

>But now I've run into a second problem: I formatted the drives on a machine
>booted up as 8.1, the main, internal drive of that machine being accessed
>through LaCie's "Silverlining" software which makes drives not intended for
>Macs to be usable on a Mac. I'm not sure whether the 8.1 utilities or the
>Silverlining is at fault, but what I now find is that when this same drive
>enclosure is attached to another Mac running "plain jane" 7.1, they are
>unmountable, though still recognized by name. Can anyone divine for me
>whether it's 8.1 being a newer format or the Silverlining intervention
>that's at fault? What's my best bet for formatting these drives in such a
>way that they are universally recognizable?

Mixing various hard disk drivers *can* cause problem, although it's somewhat
unusual to see it.  If you keep all your disks formatted with the same utility,
this problem can be avoided.

Also, make sure you didn't format them as HFS Plus.
--

the pickle

FAQ <http://macfaq.org/index.shtml>

Software Archive
<ftp://download:[EMAIL PROTECTED]//Users/thepickl/Sites/Archive/>
<http://www.members.jmug.org/%7Ethepickl/archive/>