On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> --- Ken Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I don't know how serious you are about this, but I'm
> > pretty sure that I
> > have a 386/40 PC board in my basement (I only wish I
> > threw out the old
> > junk...
> >
> > I also just got a IIfx, but don't know what it has
> > in it, other than a
> > sticker on the outside that says "Runs OK" :)
> >
> > If you really want to do this, let me know, and I'll
> > start digging for 386 parts.
> >
> > Ken
>
> See if it uses 30pin or 72pin RAM. That shouldn't
> make too much difference. Many of those also had
> 64-128K cache onboard too. The main problems would
> be finding a suitable ISA videocard and SCSI
> controller. I don't have any such parts anymore.

It uses 30 pin SIMMs. It's an AMD 386DX40, and has a IIT 3C87-40
coprocessor installed.

If I have an ISA video card, it's probably something pretty basic like a
Cirrus Logic or Trident board. That takes more digging ;)

I don't think I have access to a SCSI card for this, as I could never
afford to have SCSI on a PC. Well, that's not true... I have a SCSI Zip
drive, and it would have come with a cheapo SCSI board. Don't know if you
can boot off of those though.

> What web browsers would be suitable for the testing?
>
> IE 5.5SP2 will run on Win95B on the 386 but 68k IE
> stops at 5.0. Netscape 4.79 would run on the PC but
> for 68k Mac it stops at 4.08. Could stay away from
> the big names and stick with Opera, Eudora etc.

I would say go with 4.08 or 3.04, just use the same version on each one.

> What year was 7.5.5 released? Win95B came along in
> 1996. Could use Win95 plus the service pack to make
> it Win95a along with the Y2K update. Then both systems
> would be quite "patchy". ;)

System 7.6.1 on this IIci claims copywrite from 83-96, so I would think
that 7.5.5 would be a similar era to the original release of Win95.

I gotta work a little harder if we really want to do this. The old PC
stuff is all in pieces, and in the far, dark corners of the basement with
all the spiders and dustbunnies... seems fitting though ;)

Ken

--
<><   Ken Scott   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

              This is the day that the Lord has made;
              I will rejoice and be glad in it!          -- Psalm 118:24