> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Gregg Eshelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: IIfx VS 386DX/40 Re: IIfx online Re: Hi-Spec IIci finished
>
> --- Ken Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It uses 30 pin SIMMs. It's an AMD 386DX40, and has a
> > IIT 3C87-40
> > coprocessor installed.
>
> Vroom! :)

The IIT won't work with Linux or BSD, though, as it has some kind of
breakage.

> > If I have an ISA video card, it's probably something
> > pretty basic like a
> > Cirrus Logic or Trident board. That takes more
> > digging ;)
>
> Yeah, not too many 24bit 2D video/windows accelerators
> were made for 16bit ISA slots. Though Sigma designs
> did make a "triple threat" 24bit acclerator, Pro
> Audio Spectrum 16 and 8bit Trantor SCSI card all in
> one 16bit ISA board. SCSI didn't have a bios so was
> not bootable.

Personally, I'd go for a Tseng ET-4000-based video card. The old Diamond
SpeedStar comes to mind.

> > I don't think I have access to a SCSI card for this,
> > as I could never
> > afford to have SCSI on a PC. Well, that's not
> > true... I have a SCSI Zip
> > drive, and it would have come with a cheapo SCSI
> > board. Don't know if you can boot off of those
> > though.
>
> Nope, but eBay is literally littered with old, cheap,
> 16bit Adaptec SCSI cards that are bootable.

Only one choice- Adaptec 1540/1542. One of the few (only?) bus-mastering ISA
cards.

> > System 7.6.1 on this IIci claims copywrite from
> > 83-96, so I would think
> > that 7.5.5 would be a similar era to the original
> > release of Win95.
>
> 1996. Hmm, so it could be 7.6.1 VS Win95B.

Reasonable, but I'm not sure going to Win95B is really going to gain you
anything on that hardware.

This raises a question, though- original OS vs. supported OS. IIRC, the IIfx
shipped back in the System 6 era (early System 7, anyway) and the 386/40
came out sometime in the Win 3.1 era.  OTOH, by the time Win95 came out,
most shipping systems were some kind of 486 or very early pentium.

The point is... should this be a 7.1/3.1 faceoff or a 7.5.5/95 faceoff?

> > I gotta work a little harder if we really want to do
> > this. The old PC
> > stuff is all in pieces, and in the far, dark corners
> > of the basement with
> > all the spiders and dustbunnies... seems fitting
> > though ;)
>
> Eww, you're making this sound like a computer
> version of "Hellraiser". ;) But it's all for science,
> or at least good fun, right?

True :-)

<<<john>>>