Thought I'd post this in case anyone else runs into the same problem...

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.  Working on the theory that
the cable might be bad/wrong, I located a store near me specializing in
Apple repairs (yay!) and stopped by to see if they might have a different
kind of cable.

The guys at the store said I most probably have not a Macintosh monitor but
a monitor that was designed to work only with the Apple IIGS.  They said
that the first color monitor designed to be used with a Macintosh II wasn't
made until 1988, and I knew mine was dated 1987.  They said that the weird
double display was a symptom of the monitor not being able to properly read
the Macintosh RGB signal.

Once I got home and looked at it again, I could see that the design was very
similar to the 1987 monochrome monitor that goes with my Apple IIe.  Alas, I
can't even use the IIgs monitor with the IIe as it has a different kind of
connector and, according to the store guys, a different kind of video!

They happened to have a 1992 13 inch RGB monitor lying around, so I bought
that for $20 and have confirmed that it works perfectly with the cable I
originally bought, with both computers.  Problem solved.

Darn... now I have to go out and find a IIGS so I can use the monitor I got
from the thrift store. :-P

Thanks again to all... Onward with the vintage mac museum!

Sara