Gregg Eshelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> The LC 520 and some of the LC 550 series used a
> CD-ROM drive that requires Sony type CD caddies.
> The Performa 550 used a tray load drive and the LC
> 550 also did after the Performa version was released.

Not entirely true. My early Performa 550 (that I'm typing this on, so I
can look down and confirm that it does, indeed, say "Performa 550,"
although it now has the logic board of a 575) has a caddy-loading
CD-ROM. I bought it at Sears the first day the 550s came out, so it's an
extremely early model. It says "CD Caddy" on the door, and has a strip
under the slot that says "COMPACT disc DIGITAL AUDIO," "QuickTime,"
"PhotoCD" and "2x" on it. Can't get it to work with any odd-sized CDs,
such as the business card sized ones, no matter how carefully I center
it in the caddy, but other than that it's always worked great.

I always actually preferred the caddy-loading drive, because it works
exactly the same as the disk drive and the Zip drive, once you load the
most frequently used CDs in their own caddies, and it keeps them safe
from scratches and fingerprints.