You're right about the sound cards. I had forgotten about the jumpers and
was just shooting from the hip last night, so didn't take the time to crack
the cases on the machines or dig up the old documentation. Now that you
mention it, I think the two SB cards are not identical - one is jumpered
and the other is PnP with software configuration.

I'm not the one with the extra-low sound level; that was the guy who
started the thread. I was responding to Marten's observation about all PCs
needing amplified speakers. As a matter of fact, I suggested cleaning the
audio out contacts to the original poster, although I did not provide the
detail you did.

So, thanks for your offer of help on tracking my sound cards and for the
detailed directions on cleaning contacts. It's this kind of mutual support
that makes these LEM lists so useful.

        Sp00ky

>--- Spiritus ex Machina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> You figure it out, 'cause I sure
>> can't. <insert puzzled
>> Smiley here>
>
>Most older PC soundcards with one speaker jack have
>one or two jumpers to select line level out or
>amplified output. :) E-mail me off-list and I'll
>see what info I can find on your cards.
>
>As for the low sound level on the LC, probably
>grungy contacts between the built in speaker and
>the logic board and same on the speaker jack.
>
>Try using a pencil eraser to gently polish the
>speaker contacts on the board and speaker.
>

>=====
>"Work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger.
>More than ever hour after our work is never over." Daft Punk

        Sp00ky
--
  Spiritus ex Machina
  No matter how paranoid you are, it isn't paranoid enough.