tonight I'm feeling like pawing thru my box of old UFO 's [unidentified
floppie objects]
and seeing what's on them. I just got done doing it with all  my old
cassette tapes and I've got energy left  to burn, so i thought I'd
switch media and ream out my mystery floppies.
Now, the confusion is this:
I'm a rank beginner with computers. I confess. This will be the first
time I've ever done this. I know that macs use forked formatting to
address data and PC's don't. My kid has been picking up other people's
tossouts for months, and we have a box of PC floppies and a box of mac
floppies. I have sorted them thru a number of times, but you never know
until you actually go to use it.

so If i start slipping one floppie at a time into my machine[s] and ask
the machine to open it and show me what's on it, what could i
conceivably run into, here?

I have a IIsi, a IIfx, and an LCIII.
theye are running on system  7.5.5  or 7.1, depending.

the IIfx has only one floppie drive, not two, despite its being built
for two if i wanted them.

what kind of dialog boxes am i liable to see once i start this project?
what do i do as i see them?
[ no smartass answers, here, like 'answer them!,  please]

can i do anything horribly wrong, doing this?

what happens when you put a floppie into a mac  machine

1) if it was formatted on a PC and you don't intend to erase over it and
record new data
[ should i just save it to the PC box and try it on that later?}

2) if it was recorded in a different operating system than the one on
your machine at the moment?

3) if it's blank and you want to make it one of your mac supplies for
future storage?

4)if it has something irrelevent to you and you decide you want to clean
it up and reuse it for storing something else 'mac'  on, in the future?

is there any quick way to tell from looking at it, if a floppie is mac
format or PC?

can i do any harm to my machines or floppie readers in the process of
doing this task? is there anywhere things could go horribly wrong? is
there any safeguard I should take before i start, so that  i can save my
fate, if i screw up royally somehow?

i stress--i only intend to pop the disc into the reader and look at
what's on it. I don't intend to upload it onto the hard drive or do
anything in the way of data transfer from the disc  to the machine.

like i said--I'm a computer newby, a rank, virgin beginner. giggle if
you want to, but this is serious stuff when you're just sticking your
toe in the big ocean.

Janet Schwartz

http://community.webtv.net/mensabrains/BADCODE

http://www.anybrowser.org