Good luck with your tedious but worthwhile project!  (I did this with all my
old Mac floppies a loong time ago, still have a nice box of
formatted-ready-to-use disks as a result)...

You might want to install antivirus software (especially if you don't know
where the floppy came from) and disk repair software (like Norton) first, if
you have it.  Just sticking a floppy into a machine & looking at its
contents without opening any files cannot give you a virus AFAIK, but many
antivirus programs can scan every floppy inserted for viruses, and you might
as well know up front if you've got an infected disk before you start
opening any files.  The disk repair software will come in handy if any of
the floppies are damaged; older floppies can go bad but can often be
rescued.

Like others said, PC exchange will read PC floppies in a Mac (have never
used the PC program others mentioned but it sounds good); the control panel
can be installed by itself in a 7.x mac if it's not already built into your
version of system software.

> 1) if it was formatted on a PC and you don't intend to erase over it and
> record new data
> [ should i just save it to the PC box and try it on that later?}

yes; eject, don't format

> 2) if it was recorded in a different operating system than the one on
> your machine at the moment?

the computer doesn't care, unless it is a very early 400K MFS disk, but that
is unlikely, and system 7 can read them anyway.  also, an 800K drive cannot
read a HD (high density) floppy, but your computers should all have HD
drives which can read both 800K and 1.4M disks.

> 3) if it's blank and you want to make it one of your mac supplies for
> future storage?

Format, but make sure that it's not PC or damaged first (either condition
may produce the "do you want to format?" question, if you don't have PC
exchange).  If neither the PC nor the mac recognizes it, it might be
damaged; try inserting/opening it after opening Norton Utilities or the
like.  Once you get any useful data off a damaged disk, toss it unless you
really value it for some reason -- a disk that goes bad once will often turn
up bad again later.  (If you're sure you don't care what's on the disk, just
skip Norton and format it; the computer will tell you if the format fails
because the disk is bad).

> 4)if it has something irrelevent to you and you decide you want to clean
> it up and reuse it for storing something else 'mac'  on, in the future?

Double & triple check to make sure the data is really irrelevant, then
format on the machine you plan to use it on. (I also recommend renaming it
blank and putting on a fresh disk label so you will remember later that you
already reformatted it -- office supply stores carry floppy disk labels in
the label section, at least they used to.)

> is there any quick way to tell from looking at it, if a floppie is mac
> format or PC?

Not really.  Even if a disk is actually labeled mac or pc, it might have
been reformatted by someone later in the other operating system.  PC
exchange has a nice feature where a PC-formatted disk pops up with "PC" on
its icon.

If you care, you can tell the difference between HD and 800K floppies by
looking at them -- HD floppies have an extra hole in the upper left corner,
800K floppies don't.  800K floppies have only the write-protect hole in the
upper right corner (HD disks have this hole also).

Hope this helps -- good luck!

Sara