--- Kevin Quosig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just came into possession of a IIfx with the follow
> config:
>
> --1 GB Apple Hard Drive
>
> --80 MB RAM
>
> --"Macintosh Display Adapter" (630-0400, 1989/90, both
> on-board slots filled)
>
> --Fusion Video Card (FX/DSL), sans the daughtercard option
>
> --Orange Micro Card (8 MB RAM, AMIBIOS 386DX BIOS, what
> looks like some kind of PCMCIA reader out the back)
>
> --DoveFAX card
>

> --What is the highest Windows OS the OrangeMicro can run?

386DX is good for MS-DOS (up to 6.2) and Windoze 3.1.  Don't bother
with Windoze 95 on that processor.

> --Can the OrangeMicro successfully run Linux?

In general, a 386DX/8mb will run Linux, but don't bother running
X-Windows, it will be way slow.  Use an older Linux or FreeBSD for a
small memory footprint.  Turn off all unneeded processes (such as
servers like HTTPD, etc.).  Things will be better if you have more
memory, so see about upgrading the memory on the Orange card after you
prove it works.  There may be some weird hardware/BIOS specific to the
Orange card that could prevent it from running Linux, but it's worth a
try.

=====