>Depends on how well the PostScript is emulated. :P
>I had a Qume CrystalPrint Publisher II that would
>work, barely, when it felt like it with the
>LaserWriter
>drivers compatable with Mac OS 7.6.1 on my Power IIci.
>With olde enough drivers and System 7.1 it worked
>fine.

Tried to install older laserwriter drivers in 7.6.1. They should work
just fine. In my experience anyway.

>Supposedly the Qume was able to emulate the
>LaserWriter
>II NTR. With the newer drivers the best they would
>allow was generic LaserWriter. Same thing using it
>with Windows 9x. I was stuck with generic LaserWriter
>or generic LaserJet when the printer supposedly
>would pretend to be a LaserJet II. (With Win3.1x it
>could.) Apparently Adobe made Apple and Mcrosoft
>"tighten up" the drivers they provided to almost
>exclude printers running "clonescript" emulations
>of PostScript instead of licensing real PostScript
>from Adobe. (I thought about trying the 3.1x drivers
>with 98SE but decided to junk the printer instead.)

HP printers use emulated postscript and work just fine.

>So if you're looking for a PostScript printer, make
>sure it says it has genuine Adobe PostScript.
>Otherwise
>Adobe can jigger the drivers (or insist Apple and
>Microsoft do it) at any update to eliminate
>compatability or cut it down to the most basic modes
>of functionality. Then you're stuck either keeping
>an old computer, old OS and old drivers just to
>support a printer.

Again, you can of course throw an old version of the laserwriter
driver in your system folder.  I know from experience that the older
laserwriter drivers are compatilbe with newer Macintosh systems.

>A related note on forced obsolescence, I _had_ my
>UMAX scanner working with WinXP even though it
>supposedly wasn't supported. ;) Apparently UMAX got
>together with MS because after applying SP1 the
>scanner just wouldn't work anymore. :( Well, that
>gives me a great scanner for use on my Macs! Only
>the Mac software version that originally shipped
>with the Vista S6-E will work, but at least it
>works up through OS 9.1. Why forcibly "obsolete" the
>scanner for WinXP but not MacOS 9.x.x???

Ah.... That is because XP has trouble with scsi...  Just use the
win2000 drivers and everything should be ok. Win 2000 has better scsi
support.
Check out the System 6 Heaven:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html
Subscribe to the LEM system6 list: