On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 10:47:54PM -0800, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> Some companies are getting rich selling devices to reprogram the chips and
> new replacement chips for people who refill their Epsons. Epson ink tanks
> are deliberately designed to make life hell for the refiller. :P On the
> printers which use the chipped ink tanks, installing a tank without the chip
> will make the printer self destruct.

Where did you hear this?  I'm not doubting you, I just have not heard
of it before.  I mean, if that happens then it should be big news given
how fast 3rd party carts sell at computer shows.

I have an Epson 880, and it's worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.
I use 3rd party cartridges because they are only $8.

But the 880 is the one that was always recommended, so maybe it is just
a better printer.

> Canon, Xerox and other companies whose printers use seperate printheads
> (which unlike Epsons, are replaceable) and ink tanks, don't care if 3rd
> parties make the ink tanks. They just put a disclaimer in the warranty about
> using non-approved ink.

My Epson 880 uses ink tanks.  The print head is separate.  The tank is
pierced when you install the cartridge.  I don't know if the heads can
be replaced or not.

> That's why I avoid Epson and HP printers. They want to rip you off on the
> inks by trying to ensure that you use only their overpriced cartridges that
> have

IMHO, all of the companies rip you off on ink cartridges.  The printers
are cheap crap designed to eat carts.

I get Epson 880 cartridges locally for $8 each, color and black.
They are remanufactured.

I would have been willing to go with Canon for the seperate ink system,
but the drivers were not very good for UNIX systems (at the time anyway).
Some of their printers look pretty cheap too.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]