My "cure-most" for SCSI drives that give my Macs a
fit is to plug them into the Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI
controller in my PC and use the built in low level
formatter in the controller. Then if it's going to HFS
on the Mac I FDISK it on the PC as FAT16, if it's
going into a PowerMac I FDISK it as FAT32 for HFS+
reformatting.

That usually gets it over any "bumps" on the Mac.
Apparently the low level structures of FAT16/HFS
and FAT32/HFS+ are very similar. Usually can just
let the Mac erase the unknown drive.

If the Adaptec won't touch a drive, it is truly toast.

=====
"If all the young people in America were to act as you intend to act, the country
would be defenseless and easily delivered into slavery." Albert Einstein in a letter
to a pacifist, 1941.