--- RedNight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Heh.  "Not all?"  Try *most* :)  I'm amazed at the
> number of jacks I see with
> >only two wires in 'em.
>
> thats what hapens when "standards" get changes
> around

Yes, annoying, isn't it?

Microsoft has decided to change yet another standard
to how they want. Starting with Win2K MS decided that
all media with a sub 32 megabyte formatted size would
be done as FAT12 with a 512 byte block size.
Jolly fun, eh? Especially when the various .orgs that
establish standards for SmartMedia, Memory Stick,
Compact Flash, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital, etc
decided that the rule would be FAT16 for the smallest
media up to at least 512 meg. Fortunately for Windows
users, WinMe respects the proper standards for smaller
media. (About the only thing WinMe is good for.)

How this relates to Macintosh is that the Classic
Mac OS and System can only work with FAT12 on PC
formatted 720K and 1.44M floppy disks, as far as
I've been able to tell in my limited testing.
If I had a 20 to 40 meg SCSI hard drive and an old
8088 PC with a SCSI controller I'd load up DOS 2.1
and format it with ye olde FAT12 then see if any of
my Macs can mount it.

=====
"Why do Zik-Zak Burgers come in plastic packs? Some of the plastic rubs off on them
and increases their nutritional value!" Max Headroom