On Thursday 03 July 2003 21.30, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Argh!  I was unplugging my IIsi (...)
When I replaced the cables on the IIsi, I get no response from either the back panel
power button nor the keyboard power.  No response at all, no whirs, clicks, bings,
whistles, nada.
So, my suspicion is a fried powersupply.  I don't really want to mess with the
powersupply's internal parts, cause I've heard how dangerous they are, and I really
wouldn't have the first clue as to how to fix it."

Come on, live dangerously. No, but to be serious, the most dangerous part could be to
get the PS opened. Some of the IIsi power supplies are riveted shut. I had to drill
through and tear out the rivets before I got a look at the innards.

In my case it was the internal fuse that had blown. To replace this is of course
totally safe, as long as you don't keep the PS plugged in while you're working. Those
IIsi power supplies weren't the most robust ones Apple used, I've seen several of them
expire, even if they weren't as rotten as the 630/6200/6300 ones that predictably fail
in a singular fashion.

Not that it helped me any to replace the fuse, it just blew anew. I tried replacing it
with successively more resistant fuses (usually a bad idea, but I had no spare PS at
the time and wanted to get at least a few more hours of use from the computer).
Finally the PS, or rather a major capacitor in it, exploded with a bang and a cloud of
foul-smelling smoke. Not recommended, at least not if you have a wife who easily gets
upset about nocturnal explosions in the house.

But do take a look inside. Since it failed when you were removing and replacing cables
and pressing buttons I suspect a mechanical rather than an electronic problem.
Otherwise I'd say it's a coincidence, because starting and shutting down the computer
without monitor or keyboard attached should do nothing to the power supply.

My apologies if the formatting of this message is bad. Not writing on a Macintosh, but
a Linux box... tends to screw up line breaks.

/Mikael