--- Da Pen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello to all,
> Have a question about connecting a Mac 2fx to a
> Hewlett Packard LaserJet 3.  I would like to make
> the
> connection via ethernet.  Can anyone tell me what
> ethernet card will work in a 2FX, providing I can
> find
> one?  What I have to do is arrange to use the LJ3 on
> both the 2FX and a windows machine so I will need to
> find an ethernet card for the HP as well.
> Thanks. Dave

HP never made an ethernet card for the XIO slot in the
LaserJet III series. Also, HP never released any Mac
drivers or PPD (Postscript Printer Definition) files
for the LJIII. There were some 3rd party XIO ethernet
print server cards, but I've been unable to find any
names and not a word about any 3rd party Mac software
to use with them.

The only ways to use a LaserJet III series with a Mac
is via Strydent PowerPrint. They may still have the
serial to parallel cable and software available, but
their main focus is on the USB to parallel version.
Strydent also sells PowerPrint for ethernet. IMHO,
the company has take the wrong tack with the ethernet
version because the only way to get it is with the
external ethernet print server they sell. The
PowerPrint software looks for a specific server name
which is programmed into the box they sell.
Ahem, most any external ethernet print server can
have the name reprogrammed easily. Strydent would
sell much more of their ethernet software if they
cut the price, dropped the bundled server and either
changed the software to allow any server name or just
told people what to set the server name to.

Oh, another problem is with the PowerPrint serial to
parallel cable and driver, I could only get my IIID
to work WITHOUT the PostScript cartridge, which meant
that I couldn't share the printer with DAVE on the
Mac or PC MacLAN on the PC side, so that "solution"
is right out! These two products can only share
PostScript printers. Even worse is the serial
PowerPrint driver is S L O W. It rasterizes the
print job into bitmap images, one per page, then
sends them to the printer, essentially turning your
relatively powerful Motorola 68K based printer into
a poky host based printer.

If I had the PowerPrint ethernet software, I'd poke
around in it with ResEdit to see if the server name
could be changed or find the name and change it on my
HP JetDirect EX server.

=====
Say hello to Juror #49. Yep, I'm on jury duty until the end of March. Gotta call in
each weekend. Fun.