Powermac wrote:

Well I guess I was wrong, I do remember seeing 7.1 on their website, but

like you said it was just updates for that OS.

Apple is weird about what they have for free download and what they don't.
7.0 is available for the 68k machines and 7.5.2 and updates to 7.5.5 are
available for the early powermacs (and 68k) but 7.1.x and 7.6x are not. I
wonder why they don't just release everything up to 9.1 for free since they
EOL them all and new machines are OSX only (9.2.2 still supported?)

From what I understand, there's some bit of 7.1 that was licensed shareware that they later lost the rights to and so couldn't distribute it. Or so I've heard.

No real clue about 7.6, but I guess they feel it still runs enough modern software on PPCs that it'd be giving away too much. I don't honestly see much advantage beyond 7.1 on 68ks as most everything I've tried to run works, and what doesn't can usually be made to work with some extension adding or, worst case, some version resedit hacking. Although the context menus on 8.0+ are darn nice, and HFS+ support in 8.1 can be a necessity.

Scott Holder