On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 10:51 PM, Michael wrote:
What kind of RAM? Your best bet is 8 chips on each stick, not 2, 4 or 9.
Check to see that they are the same speed, 60ns is about the fastest you can
get cheap, 70, and 80 work good to, 100 is the slowest, I think.

You do not need the extra speed. 80nS is fast enough, there is no advantage to having faster RAM. The speed of the RAM access is fixed by the motherboard. Theoretically, they don't HAVE to be the same speed (some could be faster), but its nice if they are.

Non-parity 30 pin SIMMS come with either eight "by 1" DRAM, or two "by 4" DRAM. There is no technical reason why one should be preferred over the other, in fact the two "by 4"'s would be newer technology.

Quality of manufacture of DRAMs is another thing. I prefer American (Texas Instruments or Micron), Japanese (Fujitsu, Hitachi) or finally Korean (Samsung). But, heck, this isn't mission-critical stuff, just which ones I'd choose out of a big bag.

Non-parity (meaning the SIMM inputs and outputs 8 bits at a time) are the type required for Macs. Parity SIMMs usually come from old PC's and input and output 9 bits at a time. So these have nine "by 1" DRAM, or two "by 4" DRAM and a single "by 1" DRAM. They also work fine in Macs because the ninth bit is not connected to the bus. However, I usually remove the offending DRAM (by wire snips and de-soldering) as it saves a little power. Also, after a lifetime of working on the Darkside I find these SIMMs are usually grateful that they are now permanently converted to Mac heaven for the rest of their existence :-)

John