On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:50:57PM +0800, John Niven wrote:
> Yes I have seen that connector which gave me the idea of using
> two internal drives, one off each MB SCSI controller.

You can connect seven devices to each bus, may they be internal or
external.  Just pick up a SCSI cable with a suitable number of
connectors.

term <-> internal 2 <-> internal 1 <-> internal 3 <-> mainboard.

> If Mainboard 2 also has termination haven't I got too many terminators?

If the mainboard has a terminator, it is to electrically isolate
each bus.  If not, it doesn't matter (that is what the rambling in
the last message was about).

> What happens in Macs that have a SCSI CDROM and an IDE HardDrive?

The busses are independent.  If I recall correctly, the IDE bus is
seen as a separate SCSI bus by software but I don't know how the
boot ROM would see it nor how you would select a boot device while
it is booting.

> I am currently running it (in the Q950) without a terminator, and with
> Term power off.

The drive probably provides termination.  Termination power is
useful, but it won't matter very much if you only have one device
on a short bus.

> I works fine except, when I have my JackHammer NuBus SCSI card plugged
> in I cannot boot from a CDROM. When I remove the JackHammer it will
> boot. I'm very confused!
>
> That's one of the reasons I was considering ditching the JackHammer and
> using the dual MB interfaces instead.

The Q950 can handle up to 14 devices on the two busses, in any
combination of internal and external.  Just don't put more than 7
devices on each bus.  Very few users require more than one bus.
Those who do typically require extra performance (which I believe
is the point of the JackHammer), have several devices which are
hardwired to one or two SCSI IDs, or have a big file server with
lots of redundancy.

There are some issues which you may be running into: the computer
may only be looking for the CD drive on a particular bus or busses
during boot up.  If I recall correctly, System 7.1 (and earlier)
merge the two busses into one (I'm not sure how SCSI IDs work here).

Byron.