on 5/10/04 4:55 PM, Doug Anderson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've never used external SCSI devices before.  Is my hunch that the
> cable is bad correct, or am I missing a config or compatibility issue?
>
> Since the cables are relatively cheap I ordered another one online so I
> can test my hunch.
>
> Oh, almost forgot, I have an active SCSI terminator plugged into the
> 300e's other SCSI port (top one).

When I want to know what is the issue, I pull the terminator first.

Then I set the CD ROM to SCSI ID 6.

I open the System Folder on my machine to verify the existence of
CD ROM Externsions. Apple CD ROM, High Sierra, ISO 9660....

Then I test several different CDs.

If I can't get a known drive to work at that point, I will think
it's the Cable or the SCSI chip in the Mac. I verify the latter
by hooking an external SCSI Hard Drive to it that I know is a working
Drive.

Jeff G