On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:55:16 -0500
Doug Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, when I then connect the CD-ROM drive to a Mac SE/30 running
> 7.5.5 using the DB25 to C50 cable no CD pops up on the desktop.  I
> then tried the drive with a regular SE and then on a Classic.  The SE
> and Classic were running 7.0.1 and neither indicated they were seeing
> the CD.
>
> I then began to suspect the cable, so I plugged the drive intoa Power
> Mac 7300.  Doing so causes the computer to lockup after it gets to the
> desktop.  On the compact Macs and the Powerbook I had the drive setup
> as device #3.  Since the PM already has an internal SCSI CD on #3, I
> set the 300e to #5.

Yes, all SCSI devices on the same bus must have different IDs. The fact
that there was a conflict, though, suggests to me that the computer was
seeing the external drive fine, so maybe the cable is not the problem.

This suggests that you might be missing the Apple CD driver on the other
systems. But did the drive work on the 7300 (which probably already has
the driver installed, if it has an internal CD drive)?

If the drive still doesn't work on the 7300, though, then I'd probably
start to suspect the cable too. Check the pins on the 25-pin end -- I've
seen these bent or broken off occasionally.

-- Michael