At 8:28 AM -0400 5/2/04, A.Tuazon wrote:
Hey folks,

A few questions regarding my IIsi:

1) Which OS would be the most optimal for this machine?  6? 7.0? 7.0.1? 7.1?
7.5? etc.

My preference is 7.6.1. It's the latest you can normally use. It works quite well.

3) If I had a VGA adapter, would it work on the IIsi? (it's a little doohickey thingy that clips over the built-in Apple video port and turns it into a VGA port). Anyone if it does work what would I expect in terms of size of screen, quality of video, etc.

Only if the VGA monitor in question supports Sync-On-Green. They exist but are very rare. The size of screen and quality are entirely dependent on the VGA monitor. The max resolution it will support is 640x480x256. The IIsi does support 640x870 but AFAIK VGA monitors don't support that resolution.

4) I loaded the IIsi to the max with RAM (64megs). I then installed RamDoubler (an old copy) and doubled the RAM to 128MB. It booted up just fine, BUT after using any program for about 10+minutes, the whole thing freezes. Any suggestions on how to double the RAM and avoid the system freeze? Anyone know of the highest version of RAMdoubler that will work on OS 7.1?

I hope you are doing this just as an exercise in maxing out the IIsi. Even 65 Mb is more than it can realistically use, just the time it takes to read in enough data to fill 65Mb.

As to the freeze, try running a disk optimizer with RAMDoubler off then turn it on and reboot. It's possible the larger swap space is running into a conflict with the disk fragmentation.

I must say it was quite interesting to see this eary 90's machine show 128MB for memory (even for a little while) and the OS only using up about 2-3 MB. These days it seems you need at least 512MB just to run the OS properly.

Not quite that much. But you are talking about machines that can access your 65Mb of RAM in next to no time. You could use a 1+GHz G5 to run OS 7.5.3 say but would you really want to?
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA