--- "A.Tuazon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A few questions regarding my IIsi:
>
> 1) Which OS would be the most optimal for this
> machine?  6? 7.0? 7.0.1? 7.1?
> 7.5? etc.

7.1 for speed. 7.5.5 if you have something to run
that absolutely will not run in 7.1.

> 2) I just got in my possession an old IBM 4019 laser
> printer.  If I wanted
> to hookup this printer to the IIsi, which version of
> Powerprint do I need?

4.5.2 was the final version with 68k support. You
need their serial to parallel cable. If you pick
up a version of it used, e-mail the company at
http://www.strydent.com and tell them the version,
serial number and any info that's on the cable you
get with it. I bought 3.0.0 on eBay and they gave
me a free upgrade to 4.5, which is the latest version
that works with the cable 3.0.0 came with. If they
still list a serial version on the site, they'll
sell you version 4.5.2 of the software with the
cable.

> 3) If I had a VGA adapter, would it work on the
> IIsi?  (it's a little
> doohickey thingy that clips over the built-in Apple
> video port and turns it
> into a VGA port).  Anyone if it does work what would
> I expect in terms of
> size of screen, quality of video, etc.

You need an adaptor that can be manually set to one
resolution. You'll get the same video options as
you would with an Apple monitor.

> 4) I loaded the IIsi to the max with RAM (64megs).
> I then installed
> RamDoubler (an old copy) and doubled the RAM to
> 128MB.

Skip RAM Doubler. There's nothing you'd want to sit
around and wait on at 20Mhz that needs that much RAM,
real or virtual. ;) Get the IIsi RAM Muncher Init.
What that does is "munches" or fills up any of the
first one meg (Bank A) that's not being used by the
video. It speeds up the IIsi a bit because the CPU
and video cannot access Bank A at the same time.
The muncher just sits there quietly so that whenever
the CPU "peeks in" at Bank A it gets the message
that there's nothing to do there and goes back to
Bank B.

Try RAM Charger. This program is what Apple should
have licensed years ago to replace their poor
memory management. RAM Charger constantly defragments
the memory space so that all free blocks appear as
a single block. It also allows applications to
dynamically access more memory as they need, then
takes it back when it's no being used. You can still
set minimum memory sizes. That's for pesky apps that
expect a certain amount of memory available
immediately
when they start. See www.jumpdev.com

You can also overclock a IIsi to 25Mhz without a
problem (most of the time). Apple was originally
going to sell it and the IIci both at 25Mhz then
decided that the less expensive IIsi might cut into
IIci sales. As if anyone who expected to do any
expanding or upgrading on their Mac would buy the
IIsi over the IIci. Cutting the IIsi down by 5Mhz
probably just helped sell fewer Macs. :P
Anyway, all the parts in the IIsi are rated for 25Mhz
except the CPU.

CPUs have for many years all been made to a design
speed specification. Then as they're made, they are
"binned" by being tested first at the design speed
then stepping down in intervals to see if ones that
fail at that speed are stable at slower speeds.
As a CPU design matures (nears obsolete) the company
just starts marking the Mhz on them according to
market demands. (Of course they're still tested at
the marked speed.)
So the older a 20Mhz 030 is, the less likely it'll be
stable at 25Mhz.

=====
It's total Fandemonium!
http://www.fandemonium.org