On 28-Apr-04, at 1:16 AM, Ken wrote:

For this to work,
I have to be able to connect the AppleTalk port of the LaserWriter to the
Asante box. The cable I have didn't work. The one I made didn't work.

Hmmm... As I mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with the two Asante devices you mention, but now I am wondering if the issue is that they are not in fact designed to support AppleTalk devices but rather to support serial devices like ImageWriters and some of the early StyleWriter printers. Seems to me the connector port on those printers was not the same as an AppleTalk connector, although it was easy to confuse the two because they were both round and contained almost but not exactly the same pin configuration.

I realize that you are trying to make do with the equipment you already have, but FYI the kind of AppleTalk to Ethernet adapter that I have used in the past are like the following current ebay auctions:

3093269287
4126723855
4127398029

The last item contains a particularly good description of how the adapter works. If you are not familiar with ebay, just point your browser to www.ebay.com and then do a search using one of these auction numbers to call up the details.

Jim Foster
President
Macintosh Users East [MaUsE]
http://www.mause.ca

PS: ebay item 4127263907 is for a slightly different type of adapter, an iPrint LS rather than LT. It supports the Apple serial printers instead of the AppleTalk printers. The picture also makes it look like it does not use an RJ-45 port but rather an older style.