My Reply follows quote. On 28/04/2004 08:35 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>At 3:14 AM -0400 4/28/04, Jim Foster wrote:
>>On 28-Apr-04, at 1:16 AM, Ken wrote:
>>
>>>For this to work,
>>>I have to be able to connect the AppleTalk port of the LaserWriter to the
>>>Asante box. The cable I have didn't work. The one I made didn't work.
>>
>>Hmmm... As I mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with the two
>>Asante devices you mention, but now I am wondering if the issue is
>>that they are not in fact designed to support AppleTalk devices but
>>rather to support serial devices like ImageWriters and some of the
>>early StyleWriter printers. Seems to me the connector port on those
>>printers was not the same as an AppleTalk connector, although it was
>>easy to confuse the two because they were both round and contained
>>almost but not exactly the same pin configuration.
>
>AppleTalk is the overall network protocol.  LocalTalk is the twisted
>pair 230.4 KBps network that is compatible with PhoneNet.  LocalTalk
>used a MiniDIN 3 connector, similar to the MiniDIN 8 serial port
>connector on most Macs and peripherals connecting to the Mac
>serially.  Most hardware bridges had a MiniDIN 8 female connector so
>you could attach PhoneNet or LocalTalk adapters or in some cases a
>printer cable.  Some had a male MiniDIN 8 connector on a cable so you
>could connect it directly to a printer or Mac.  I know of none
>however that used either a MiniDIN 3 for LocalTalk or an RJ-11 for
>PhoneNet.

----------
WELL, finally got the system to work. The final "wiring:"

LaserWriter=>DB9 PhoneNet=>telephone wire=>PhoneNet w/din8=>Asante
box=>Ethernet Hub.

Then both test machines (the IIsi and a Blueberry Clamshell iBook) can
see and print to the Laserwriter.

I would extrapolate that if I were to connect the hub to the rest of the
house LAN, it would be seen by any machine that had LaserWriter 8 showing
in the Chooser. Guess that will have to be the next test. I got the same
results with both a MicroAsantePrint and with an AsanteTalk box. It help
to have finally located the .pdf manual on the AsanteTalk box.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Ken