At 18:24 -0400 12/15/04, David Ricker wrote:
>Is there a way to make the computer (a IIci in this case) ignore a system
>folder?  I'm thinking of archive files or another HD with a system on it that
>I want to use but not boot from or confuse the computer.

If it's on another hard disk there is little need to disguise it. You can
choose the startup disk with the chooser and it will be remembered, probably in
parameter RAM. The worst that can happen is that your regular startup volume
will fail and the box will boot from the secondary. Actually you might
appreciate that.

If you are booted from your regular startup disk you can use anything you want
within the system folder of the secondary system volume. Your problem will be
convincing certain applications that they ought to read, say, their preferences
from the secondary system folder. One thing to try for that is to place an
alias to the secondary preference file in the primary system folder. For some
applications it will work.

For semi-permanent disabling of a system folder in OS classic you can create a
folder - I call mine FinderKiller - within the system folder and move finder
into it. The system will not recognize - er bless -  it. After system 8 or so
it's possible to have two system folders on the same volume but it's not
recommended. Use FinderKiller on one of them.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who
don't <--