What do you mean when you say it "has a image on it w/ system 7.3 or something like that"?

What, literally, is on the external drive? Does it have the diskimage copied to it? (that won't work). Or did you (or someone else) take the diskimage and install it to the hard drive? (that should work).

The SCSI chain may not be terminated properly with the internal drive totally unplugged. Try plugging the ribbon cable back into the internal HD, but not the power cord. That should terminate the chain but the internal drive won't actually spin up and cause problems.