--- rednight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<clip>
> I would imagine the actual production Macs will be
> OF ia64 systems.
> The boxes they are providing developers know I
> primarily to get the
> code working on x86, hence why Apple wants them back
> and not in the general market

The development systems are Pentium 4. While code
could be written abd compiled for IA64 on a P4, it
couldn't be run on it. At least not without a CPU
emulator. Emulating a more complex CPU would be
possible, but extremely slow. Another thing against
Apple using IA64 is cost. An Itanium Mac would cost
even more than the G5, unless Apple suddenly becoming
the largest consumer of the IA64 CPU could bring
down its cost per chip.

What I wonder is what Apple will use for the chipset?
Using a custom chipset would be one way to keep OSX
from running on other PCs, but Apple's announcements
said that Windows wouldn't be prevented from running
on the Mac. Soooo, that'd mean the hardware would
have to at least work with Windows "generic" hardware
drivers.

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 5th, (Sat) 6th & (Sun) 7th, 2005
http://www.fandemonium.org