I haven't followed all of this thread but looking at the info on the ST31230N I would say that you need a jumper on j2 pin 15/16 to enable the terminators, and also pin 3/4 to enable term power from the drive.

The big question is what to do with "PE" the parity option. Parity needs to be turned off which in my experience usually means adding a jumper to disable it. But that's not clear in the documents. So I'd try it both ways, but I'd expect it to be jumpered.

The other big point is .... so this is NOT an Apple-rommed drive? If not them you will not get the standard Apple hard disk s/w to intialize the drive. You'll need the "patched" version from Gambas web site....

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/hd.html

Cheers,
       John