Your LC's hard drive will be SCSI; modern Macs use ATA internal drives, but you can buy an external SCSI case and a FireWire-to-SCSI adapter. And yes, the modern operating system can access the files on the old drives OK.

You would be booting up from the native modern drive with its modern operating system. The old LC drive would appear on the Desktop as an additional volume.